Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) techniques are being extensively used to improve and maintain the quality of manufactured goods as well as for proper maintenance of industrial plants and equipment. Typical industries that benefit most include Aerospace, Chemical, Heavy Mechanical Fabrication, Power Generation, Automobiles, Oil and Gas, Shipbuilding, Foundries, and Armaments, etc. Among the most widely used NDT techniques for the detection of internal defects are Radiographic and Ultrasonic testing. For surface and just below the surface defects Magnetic Particle testing, Liquid Penetrant testing and Eddy Current testing are commonly used. In addition to these, there are some NDT methods which have specific applications. These include Acoustic Emission, Thermal and Infrared testing, Microwave testing, Computer Tomography, Strain Gauging, Leak testing, Holography, Ferromagnetic steel wire rope testing, Magnetic flux leakage testing, Remote field testing, Time-of-Flight Diffraction (TOFD), Phased array, Pipeline current mapping (PCM), etc
Most of the engineers have been trained and certified in various NDT techniques.
IIST is fully equipped and well staffed for carrying out the following jobs:
- Training of NDT personnel at various levels.
- Certification of NDT personnel at various levels.
- NDT services to government organizations and various industrial sectors of Pakistan during manufacturing, fabrication, pre-service inspection and in-service inspection.
- Mechanical testing of materials, weld procedures and welder qualification.
- Consultancy and third party inspection.
- Calibration of NDT equipment.